The Social Hacking DVD features documentation of work by The Institute for Applied Autonomy, c6, Ludic Society, Mikro Orchestra Project, the Pirate University, Tetine, and seminar including contributions by Saul Albert and McKenzie Wark. All works were presented as part of Social Hacking, Plymouth, UK, March 2007.
Social Hacking extends ideas of hacking beyond the computer to the communicative structures of people, social interactions and the use of public spaces. Projects modify popular technologies for creative experimentation and question the distinction between digital space and real public space in the city, “hacking” the usual expectations of what public art might look, sound and feel like.
- DVD Video
- Image: 4:3
- Sound: stereo
- Language: English
- Format: DVD 5
- Region: 0 (region free)
- Produced by KURATOR
- Social Hacking is curated by Birgitte Aga, Geoff Cox, Joasia Krysa, Anya Lewin.
- DVD edited by Daniel Emmerson
- Video documentation by David Hilton, Mike Lawson-Smith et al
- Design by Lau Thiam Kok
- Funded by Arts Council England, South West and Plymouth City Council
- Additional support from i-DAT, Citylab_Plymouth, Deep Blue Sound, Drake Circus Shopping Centre, The Hub, Plymouth Arts Centre, Plymouth City Museum & Art Gallery, Pyramid Presentations, Ride café/bar and University of Plymouth.
- Thanks to Mandy Barber, Duncan Shingleton, Chris Saunders, Billy and Route 38 american muscle car enthusiasts.
The DVD is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial- ShareAlike 3.0 License.
- Social Hacking trailer — “Blimey, an actual real reason to go to Plymouth” — Plymouth, 21-24 March 2007
- Terminal Air — The Institute for Applied Autonomy — Plymouth Arts Centre + Commemorative plaque to the world’s first global communications network crash, Mayflower Steps (2 stills)
- Mobility in the Art Market — c6 — various venues
- Blip Pop — Mikro Orchestra Project — Plymouth Guildhall
- Judgement Day for 1st Life Game Figures — Ludic Society — Drake Circus Shopping Centre
- Open Day — Pirate University — Ride café/bar
- Social Hacking seminar — various contributors — Plymouth City Museum & Art Gallery
- McKenzie Wark
- Saul Albert
- Ludic Society
- Mikro Orchestra Project
- The Institute for Applied Autonomy
- Tetine mp3
- Mikro Orchestra Project mp3
- web link (http://www.kurator.org/hack/)
- Ludic Society movie
There are a few DVDs still available. Email KURATOR for further details.